Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The CRASH and The Functional bike!


 
       I have had and survived what will hopefully be my only crash related to this bike.  The old discarded office chair I have been using to sit in while I wrench on the bike suffered a catastrophic structural failure.   The resultant crash left me bruised and dazed.  On the up side there was no one else there to film the crash so I was saved the unending embarrassment of YouTube hell.
 

 
 
 
I finished attaching the new shorty reverse cone muffler.
 

 
New brake pads front and rear.

 
 
I had mentioned earlier that I was going to be able to  use the existing kick stand and bracket on the bike if I could work a few things out.  Well I did.  By reversing the bottom rear motor mount bolt and screwing it into the mount I was able to mount it on the bike as shown.
 
 
I then placed another bolt in the remaining hole to create an additional brace to support the weight of the bike.  Behind this bolt I placed a flat washer and a modified S-hook to attach the spring.
 
 
I then tacked a few beads on the back of the kick stand with a mig welder.
 
                               

I then carefully ground them down until the kick stand was in the proper position to clear the belt.   Really clean and affective.  Not to mention CHEAP!
 
 
A trip to my local Insurance Agents office and the County Tax Commissioners Office along with a few minor mods left me with what you see below.  A pretty decent little RAT bike.  I have been riding it around town and back and forth to work the last couple of days.   When it is parked I come out and folks are standing around and they inevitably ask, "What is THAT? "  I'm not really sure how I should take that.  


 
If I can get the seat cowl finished and the new tires mounted I plan to take a break and ride the bike for awhile, before moving on to  more serious refurbishments.  We are getting Close!
 

No comments: