Monday, July 22, 2013

The Lycan Special

         The iphone is truly a life changing invention.  When I am riding a motorcycle I use it to for entertainment, weather reports, GPS functions, an accurate speedometer, and my radar detector runs through it.  Pair it with a blue-tooth helmet communication system and you have the option to communicate as well hearing all the turns, warnings, and music in your head.  Really all I need now is a heads up display showing me speed, rpm, and fuel remaining in my helmet and I'll be good to go.  I told a friend I ride with once that if I ever crash it will be because I am fooling with the electronics.  Multi-tasking on a motorcycle can be problematic. 
      On the Lycan I do not have a place for it to mount and don't plan to install one either.  If I need to take a call, check the weather, or get directions I pull over and stop first.  When I am riding the Lycan all I use it for is music or podcast.  I listen to a lot of pod cast about motorcycles. I will listen to just about anything that has to do with motorcycles. I listen to them while I am riding or when I am working in the shop.  My favorites are The Pace Motorcycle Podcast, Cafe Racer Podcast, and Cleveland Moto Vintage Motorcycle Podcast.  I have listened to many of these multiple times.  
    One recently from Cleveland Moto included a Cafe Racer history lesson.  The original term was a derogatory term.  "Their not real racers, their Cafe Racers!"  When the retro bike movement started in the US and Japan they needed a name for the style of bike and Cafe Racers stuck.  Modern riders that fit this mold are the sport bike or crotch rocket riders that trick their bikes out for racing but never see a track day.  The original riders called their bikes "Specials".   So in their honor the Lycan is hence forth the "Lycan Special". 
       A Special needs some cool graphics, right?  I have already embroidered the wolf head logo on the seat so keeping with the same theme I went with a high contrast metallic silver and red accents.  I had already put the graphics together in vector format, so I called the local sign shop and asked if they could cut them out for me.   That afternoon and $30 later I had decals.  The process is pretty simple. Just peal and stick.  I got an extra set in case I screwed it up.   To really make it last a coat of clear coat over the paint and the graphics is the long term plan.   The extra set will come in handy. 
 
The Tank Graphics.
 

 
Side Panels.
 
 
Seat.
 
 
Medallion on the seat Cowl.
 


The Lycan Special