Monday, July 29, 2013

Half Assed Doesn't Cut It!

      After riding the bike pretty hard for a couple of days I made a discovery.  In my haste to get the bike on the road I had sort of "Half-Assed" the belt guard.  The result was some extensive damage to the heel guard on my left riding boot.  I  need to fabricate something a little more substantial than my original guard.  A trip to Lowes produced a piece of 16 gauge steel plate, and the design process began. 

Belt Rub!  Damn!
 

 
Half-Assed belt guard.

 
Pattern the item first and mark the fold lines.


 
Layout on stock.

 
Cut out with a cut off wheel.


 
Clean up the rough edges with the grinder.

 
Bend along fold lines.

 
Fitting.




 
A little paint.

 
The new and improved belt guard.

 
As you may have noticed I allowed the guard to extend down and attach to the inside of the rear set.  I did this to add to the rigidity of the guard.  Considering the amount of damage I did to my boot I thought it would be wise to make it as strong as possible.  I was pushing pretty hard on the belt with my heel.

 
I also took this time to install the stock helmet lock from the original bike.  The switch, filler cap, and helmet lock all use the same key.  This is one of those little additions that just make the bike a little nicer.  The lock on the Savage is in my opinion one of the better thought out locks I have seen.  It is simple, unobtrusive, and does the job.

No comments: