Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Journey.

Well we have reached the end of the first part of our journey.  A point where I plan to rest for awhile on this journey and enjoy some of the fruits of my labor.  I thought it might be good to look back at where we started and what it took to get here. 
 
We started out with a $500 bike I found on Craigslist.  It would crank and run with a life line from a Chevy truck, but that was all I knew for sure.
 
Day 1, April 1, 2013
 
 
I had an idea of where I was headed.
 
Finding the space to work.
 
 
A laugh or two along the way.
 

The take down.
 
 
And Down!
 
 
Off to a bad start.
 
 
Working through some issues.
 
 
Scratching my head more than once.
 
 
Getting really excited about something really simple.


Some interesting uses of my resources.  Places I could work with and places I couldn't quite seem to get things done.    Then coming up with a result that was spot on!
 

 
Some exciting break throughs.

 
Test Rides. Lycan Ver. 1.0
 
 
Day dreaming and sourcing parts!
 

Planning.

 
 
 And more test rides. Ver. 1.1
 
 
Something fun.  Lycan Ver. 1.2
 
 
Something I feel pretty good about.  Lycan Ver. 2.0

 
 
 
Wow!  Better that the original idea!


 
         Looking at these pictures I realize it has only been three and a half months.  It seems much longer and much more involved.  I have accomplished what I set out to do in phase one.  Build a bike!  I used old stuff and I found a way to make it work.  More than a few items came from Lowes, WalMart, and Ace Hardware.    Several came from ebay.  I didn't just buy parts I had them fabricated or I made them myself.  How cool is that.   I pulled across the scales at the local land fill the other day and asked the operator what we weighted.  After subtracting me and the gear I had on,the bike is at about 325 lbs.  I have never been much of a fan of loud motorcycles but the bike sounds incredible.  The joke with one of my friends is that the bike is the "Sheep in Wolf's Clothing!"  Yes you read that right.  "Sheep in Wolf's Clothing!"
      
     I plan to ride the bike a little and get a true feel for it.  Maybe meet some like minded people that I have heard about in the area.  I also promised to stop by the local shops I used to let them see the finished project.  If you are reading this and you were one of the folks that helped me along the way.  Thanks Again! 
 
     Oh, by the way, I'm not done here by any means.  This is where the fun really starts.  Between working on the bike and riding the bike.  I hope to have more than a few stories to tell.


No comments: