Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cosmetology 101

The custom fiberglass seat cowl is a pretty long and drawn out process.  I wanted to make it myself and to have a custom fit and appearance on this bike.  In retrospect it might have been cheaper and most decidedly easier to purchase a premade unit from a supplier.  One option is www.hotwingglass.com .  I spoke with him at The British in The Blue Ridge Rally after I was pretty well invested in doing it myself.   $100 seems like a lot of money but when you add up the supplies, the time, and the mess, not to mention the quality of the end product , BUY ONE!
 
I started out with a trip to Walmart.  Yes Walmart.  I purchased Dry Foam in the home decorating department.  This is used by florist when they arrange flowers.   Painters tape, fiberglass cloth woven and non woven, fiberglass resin and hardener, paint brushes, and 3M spray adhesive.  I had to buy resin and hardener three times at $17 a pop.  I could have gotten a gallon but I didn't know how much I would need.  I spent about $90 by the time I was finished.  The process is as follows.
 
 
Foam and adhesive from Walmart.
 
 
Glue the blocks together in the general shape you want. 
Allow to dry for about 3 hours.

 
Using a marker layout the basic design you want.

 
Trim away the excess material.


 
 

 
Sand the end product down to get the finished form.
Then check fit on the bike.

 
Fine tune your design.


 
I cut out a recess for my brake lamp and that allowed me to mount it
directly to the cowl.


 
When you are satisfied cover the form with painters tape.


 
Use a good quality Carnuba car wax on the tape as a release agent for the resin.
 
 
First brush on a light coat of resin then begin to apply the fibered fabric followed by more resin.  When mixing the resin with the hardener mix a small amount at a time.  It hardens very quickly. 

 
I allowed an excess amount of fabric beyond the form.  This can be trimmed away easily after it has hardened.


One reason I wanted to make my own was to have a closed bottom area over the rear wheel.  The prefab units are just top shells.


 
Once the resin was hard I was able to remove the foam form I had made.  The closed bottom made it necessary to pretty much destroy the form to get it out.  After a little trimming and some sanding I was able to place the cowl on the bike and check fit. 
 
 
The fiberglass fit the bike like a glove.  The fitment was actually pretty gratifying but the finish was rough.


 
A lot of sanding and three additional procedures of laying fiberglass and resin then sanding and repeating gave me an acceptable if not perfect seat cowl.


 
I moved the turn signals to clear the cowl.  I also placed some 1/2 inch rubber weather striping on to the frame rails under the seat.  This helps to dissipate the vibration from the engine.   I also drilled holes for the brake light in the recess of the cowl as well as fabricating a mounting bracket for the light.   Oh yeah, new rubber mounted up and ready to ride!


Black gloss rattle can paint on the cowl, bracket, and the aluminium side panels.  

 
I had cut a piece of 1/4 inch plywood out to match the seat area of the cowl.  I had also picked up some black upholstery fabric at my local auto upholstry shop.  I used some 1/2 inch closed cell foam I had around the shop and stapled the fabric on with a neumatic stapler.  Note embroidered logo.  I used four bolts to attach the pad to the cowl from the under side.

 
With the cowl on the bike I was able to slide the aluminium side panels under the 1 inch side extention in the seat area of the cowl.  I then drilled through both panels and screwed both peices securly into place on the seat frame. 

 
Not perfect but not bad for my first try.

 
I've got a Cafe Racer!
 
 


No comments: