Thursday, August 29, 2013

Commit to the G!

The first thing I wanted to address was to get a perfect fit for the new seat cowl.  I also wanted to be able to remove the seat without removing the side panels and vice versa.  I had not been able to do this in the prior configuration.  This was achieved by adding another layer to the seat sub frame.  I also added an extra piece of sheet metal to mesh with the recess in the cowl to form a virtual fender and protect the electrical components.  It also raised the seating position 1 inch and relieved some stress on my knees.  A little black paint and we're looking pretty good. 

 
I said it was red and it is.   I painted the header black and covered the rust to match the exhaust pipe I had bartered with from the local bike shop.  I may change back to the chrome reverse cone shorty I had earlier.  It just sounds better.  I am not going to go into the steps involved in painting this project.  It's rattle can and a couple of coats of automotive clear coat then a lot of polishing.  I still may have to polish more but that is to be determined.  The graphics went on before the clear coat but due to the wonders of photo shop I can hide them for the big reveal.
 

The contrasting white stripe looks really sharp!  The rear view is just awesome. 

 
The seating is for me the most daunting task of all.  Comfort is important to me, so sue me.   The cowl had ridges in the base for structural strength and adding a flat seat form just wasn't going to work.  After a long search I found a tutorial on the web where a guy used tinfoil on the actual cowl to make the seat form.  I modified his plan because I was a little anxious and painted before I made the form.  This required painters tape and then the foil.   then I went back and covered everything with plastic to protect the finish.



I added some reinforcing strips to areas where I would need rivets to secure the cover.  This idea came from my upholsterer.  Five layers of fiberglass and resin.



 
Once that was finished I added two aluminium strips and covered them with fiberglass as well.. This is for strength and gives me a solid mounting surface to the cowl.




Once it had dried I marked it for shape and used the angle grinder to cut it down.

 
For a custom fit!

 
With the form positioned on the cowl I drilled through the form at the reinforcements.

 
Then on the under side I placed four screws to secure the seat form into place.

 
And now for the Grand Reveal!
 
 
 
 
 
UGA Class of 1983!
 
And now for the beauty shots. 


 
I am really excited.

 
 
 
It turned out better than I expected.



 
At some point I wondered how I would know when I was finished.  I said I would just know.  Little did I know how right that statement would prove to be.   Check back as I reflect over this journey and my recommendations for your build.  That's right your build, every motorcyclist should do at least one.  
 
 

No comments: