Thursday, August 29, 2013

Problem solving and soul searching.

     Riding the bike has been great fun.  The look of the bike and the moniker of the Lycan all really fit.   As a friend put it there is a certain feeling of menace about the bike.  I think people see it and are waiting to see who the bad ass is that is riding this.  The Lone Wolf that would build and ride this machine.  The machine he built to represent his character, his inner bad boy.  Then I walk out and mount up.  Total let down.
     All that is really fun but there is always that feeling that I really need to go all the way. I need to make this thing a show stopper. I need to fix the short comings and make it a real head turner.   First of which is the hand made seat cowl.  I learned a ton and had a good time making it, and it made for great content here.  The problem is my execution fell way short of my vision.  The biggest highlight of that fail was the fact that I returned from one ride and found the tag bent and on the last ride the brake light was hanging down and the tag so defaced it was not legible.  Problem, $8 for a new tag.  I had to order a new tail light and I found a really nice seat cowl on ebay for half what I had spent on supplies to make the first one.  Looks pretty good and fits really well. 
 
 
After a short discussion with local law enforcement I decided to place the tag lower on the axle.  This was accomplished by taking the destroyed brake light and tag mount and re purposing it.  A little sawing, bending, and painting and Wa La!  I had a new axle tag mounting plate.


 
I removed the new brake light from the stock mount and fashioned a custom mount from sheet metal.   Painting, drilling, and epoxy and the light looked really custom with the new cowl.  The curve fit perfectly.


 
Next came the engine.  The patina on the cases looked pretty good on The Lycan but for where I was headed it just would not do. 

 
 
 
So remove several pieces and cover and block out others, a little 1200 degree enamel paint, add back the chrome head covers and wow!



 
The next step was to clean and check the jetting on the carb.  I should have taken more pictures but I was really into it. 

 
Now that all the body parts where off I remade the side covers for a little cleaner mount then sanded and primed all the pieces.

 
I mentioned red earlier well this is really red.  PMS 200 to be exact.
We are going to hold off for the big reveal later.

 
I also wasn't happy with the side stand.  The bike just leaned way to far over.
I made a new bracket and dropped the stand down about 1.5 inches.
I also braced it to the other side of the frame similar to what RYCA does on their kit.


 
Well that takes us down to the big reveal of my master plan.  Check back next time.
Some folks are gonna love it and more than a few are gonna hate it. 
Hint:  "Commit to the G!"

 




No comments: