Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Some People Just Never Learn!

     Apparently I am one of these people.  Just because you read it on the Internet, or saw it on YouTube doesn't mean its correct!  I researched it to a point that I was satisfied with the results.  I checked with a couple of people I trusted.  Then I jumped in whole hog and painted the bike red.  I then went ahead and added a couple of coats of what was listed on the can as Automotive Clear coat!  Polished it, and it looked great.  So great I fell in love with the bike all over again.  See previous post.  Then I had to fill the tank, and I had to try and get that little bit extra in there.  I over filled it and spilled gas all over the tank. 

     I knew I was in trouble when I reached for a paper towel at the station to wipe up the spill and pieces of the towel stuck to the tank.  Big pieces stuck to the tank.  The clear coat was dissolving right before my eyes.  Oh SHIT!  After I was knee deep in the painting process I had found one post on an obscure website that mentioned this type of problem.  It had to be the one piece of truth on the Internet.  I was screwed.    I had sent a link to the athletic department at UGA last week.  They went so far as to post a picture of the bike on their facebook page.  3.4K likes later I feel obligated to fix it.  So back to the drawing board.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=575604045808213&set=a.177967868905168.30613.161215620580393&type=1&relevant_count=1

     I went to several local paint shops and got estimates from $200 to $400 to paint the bike, one color no stripe.  This was the price after I had taken it to another local shop and had it sand blasted, which cost $60 for the tank and fender.  Of course there were several places that had been bondoed on the tank.  I spent another $40 on stripper and removed the paint from the seat cowl myself.  Oh by the way the warnings about avoiding contact with your bare skin are there for a reason!  I had on rubber gloves and a short sleeve t-shirt and a small amount of the paint and remover mixture got on my forearm, second degree burn.  Cover all skin, really.  It wasn't big but it hurt like hell.    Product worked great but it removes skin just as effectively as paint.

Product is very effective.  It has a very similar effect on skin. 
 

 
After a wash with water and steel wool all paint is gone.
 
 
I decided to take the opportunity to tackle a few nagging problems on the bike while I wait on the painting.  The fork seals need to be replaced and one of the bolts that hold the fender in place had been sheered off before I got the bike. I have the fork seals and I might as well tackle it now.  I am going to order the lowering kit as well from RYCA and drop the front end 2 inches.
 


 
Front wheel and forks removed.  There are plenty of resources to show this procedure.

 
Forks partially disassembled, waiting on parts.



Drill out proper size hole in broken bolt. 

 
Hole needs to be in the center.

 
Insert easy out by turning counter clockwise.

 
Be very careful and do not force easy-out will break.

 
Once out replace with a new bolt.

 
I also decided to try rejetting the carb once again.  The bike has never gotten proper MPG and was still running a little ragged.
 
 
150 main jet.  52.5 Pilot jet. 
 
 
 
Hopefully next time we will be able to finish the forks and reinstall the newly painted body panels and tank.
 

No comments: