Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Working through..........!

     As the title states I am working through a few issues.  The wheels I was hoping to use are not quite what I had hoped they would be.  The rear wheel with the disk brake will not fit in the swing arm with the belt drive and the other rear wheel is not interchangeable with the drive side carriers of either wheel.  The GS450 wheels based on specifications are supposed to be 18 inch wheels.  Surprise they are in fact 19 inch front and 17 inch rear.  I am not sure if this a result of the seller not knowing year or just a screw up in the online specs.  Either way they are not what I need.  They could work but why go to the trouble to make them work when there is no real benefit.  The outside diameter of the stock wheel with a 140/90-15 tire is 25.5 inches the same as a 130/70-17 wheel and tire.  The center of the wheel is still 12.75 inches of the ground.   I have order a set of tires that will fit the stock wheels.
    I ordered and received a set of air shocks from a seller on ebay.   I know they are not Ohlins but they look really cool on the bike and they feel really good.  They are way better than the stock shocks and for $100 I just could not pass them up.  The shocks are 13 3/8 inches from center to center.  The shocks really change the way the bike feels and looks.  That length is also the limit that can be used on this frame.   I had to change the top bolt on the drive side to a button head verses a socket to avoid belt rub. 
      I also ordered a pair of 1 inch club man bars with mirrors from an ebay seller.   The club man verses the clip-ons give me a little more adjust ability and the $40 price is hard to beat for bars and bar end mirrors.  I have also decided on EMGO's Cafe Muffler in black, 19 inches long. 
    I am still waiting on the seat pan my fabricator has had a few problems with his equipment and is pretty busy with his businesses main projects.  At any rate  I keep working on the bike.  below is the bike as it currently sets and a couple of finish ideas I am toying with.

Original drawing I made before I started the project.

 
Bike as it sets right now.

 
Finish design #1.

 
Finish design #2.
 
     The more I look at it, I really like the fat rear tire.   Time will tell.

No comments: