Saturday, May 11, 2013

Rear Set Installation

I picked up the parts from World Precision today.  He did a great job on the bracket.
 
 
      I went to great lengths to secure the bracket in the correct position before I took it to welding.  It was worth the effort because it fit perfectly!


 
I used the Handi-Grinder  to clean up the holes and mounted the rear sets after reinstalling the belt drive and cover. 

 
The decision I made to change the connecting post from a 1" square tube to the solid 1/2 stock was also a good decision.   Plenty of clearance in both directions for the belt and the swing arm.

 
A check of the seating position looks pretty good.  I am estimating about 85 degree knee bend.
 

The connecting rods were giving me a little trouble.  Deciding what to order and what length as well as the bends and the threading  are not a simple decision.  Online makes it a little harder as well.  My decision was a simple one, make it myself.  I went to my local hardware store and purchased 2 36 inch by 1/4 inch aluminium rods, 5 6M metric nuts, a 6M metric thread cutting dye, and the proper carrier handle.  Total $23.66.


 
     I measured for the shift rod and settled on 930 mm.    Aluminum is a joy to work with.  Reminds me of the old rule: "Light, cheap, durable, pick TWO!"  In this case I can add easy to work with.  I probably will have to rework these out of steel but for patterning and test purposes this is the way to go.  Usually you can do 1/4 turn and back up half a turn with steel, this is more like 2 turns and 1 back.    At any rate this was really easy and fast. 


 
Nice fit huh?

 
   I started bending the brake rod by inserting it into the rear brake arm, then flipping and inserting from the opposite end and bending in the opposite direction.

 
Length estimate and cut to length.


Looks pretty good.


When I threaded this piece I added 4 to five times the amount of threads to the hub end as I had on the lever end. 



 
Am I amazing or what?

 
This is my no means street legal at this point.  But being that I bought it without riding it, for $500, I have got to ride this thing.  I have to go through the gears and just see how it feels.  I have access to a parking lot across the street from my shop.  I have cobbled the muffler back into place and fashioned a rudimentary seat.  This is why test pilots get the big bucks.  Goggles on white scarf around my neck!  This is literally a wing and a prayer as I cross my self and say a little prayer.  Not catholic but at this point every little bit helps!    So tune back in Bat Fans!  Same Bat channel!  Same Bat Time!  Dating myself just a little.  If you are under, I'm gonna say 45, you have no point of reference for that comment.   Just check back hopefully there will be further post.
 

No comments: