Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Whoa!

     Well that was positive if less than spectacular.  I survived the test ride.  The positives first, the bike cranked right up and the new shifting mechanism worked flawlessly!  There was not any smoke from the bike and no unusual noises.    The seating position was comfortable as well.  So other than the oil leaks the engine seems to be serviceable.
     Now for the bad!  Brakes were practically non-existent.  The handling was non-existent.  I don't like the handle bars in this configuration.  So over all cranking and moving at varying rates of speed OK!  Handling , turning, STOPPING, Holy Shit that was scary!  I'm going shopping.
     First I have to figure out what I need to do.  I am thinking I will attempt to copy what RYCA does to their Cafe frame.  After all from what I understand one of those guys really is a "Rocket Scientist"!  Drop the front fork by 2 inches, Raise the back with longer back shocks by 2 inches, and change to 18 inch wheels front and rear.  Below I have taken a photo of the bike on the stand and imposed a stick bike over it, I can manipulate the frame and see what changes I can expect.
     From the reading I have done front wheel trail seems to be the key factor in how a bike handles.  A trail of somewhere between 2 and 4 inches seems to be the number for a neutral handling bike.  Meaning stable at speed in a straight line and easy and steady in a turn.  Trail is determined by drawing a line through the center of the steering column to the ground in front of the axle, and a vertical line through the axle and its corresponding end point on the ground beneath the axle.  The distance between these two points is the trail.   I have tried to keep all measurement to scale but I feel sure that the resulting number are just an approximation.  The stock trail is over 4 and the resulting trail after the modifications is 3.67.  I was hoping for a number closer to 3 but this should be acceptable.  The drawings below are as close to accurate as I can achieve with my current drawing programs. 



 
 
 
     After searching the forums for compatible wheels and shocks I have ordered a set of cast wheels for a 1983 Suzuki GS450. Wheels are 18 inches, the front rotor will have to be machines down to the same size as the Savage but that should be doable. The rear hub may be a problem.  Both hubs call for the same brake shoe when you reorder parts, but that can be misleading.   One source on the forum quoted this change over as plug and play, another said that it would require some machining of the hub.  I guess I will see.   Waiting on the wheels to arrive.  I have also ordered clubman bars and bar end mirrors.  I am still researching the shocks and I am considering rear shocks off a Suzuki GS550.  I still have to determine a few measurements. before I order.
     In the mean time I have taken the measurements and my local machine shop is fabricating the sub frame for my seat pan support.  It is very similar to a design I found on one of the forums for a scrambler build.  On my build the frame will be under a seat cowl that I plan to construct myself.  I am also having him add a plate to provide a location to attach my tail light and tabs for my rear turn signals.
     Speaking of turn signals, I had stated earlier that I wanted to re purpose some old turn signals I had left from a GS500F I had a couple of years ago.  I have taken the mounts from what was left of my old rear turn signals and used them to mount the front turn signals.  First I drilled out the center and threaded it to match the stubs on the GS turn signals.  These fit in the mounts for the front turn signals and now the signals screw right in.   The rear signals will mount to the tabs below the sub frame.
 


 
Next time I will begin to work on the fabrication of the rear seat cowl.
 
 

No comments: