Tuesday, April 9, 2013

What were you thinking? 



 Nah! Not gonna happen.

       I guess we all have times when we face buyers remorse.  I sit and look at the bike and think, " What were you thinking?  You gave $500 dollars for this piece of crap!"
The left foot peg is a piece of rusty metal wedged into the bracket with a piece of black electrical tape.    The rear passenger foot peg is a 1/4 inch drive socket wedged onto the bolt.  You can't make stuff like this up!



 In it's defense it doesn't smoke when it is running.  The previous owner told me it needed a stator and apparently it does.  I can charged the battery overnight and it will crank and idle very well with no smoke but the battery runs down pretty quickly and that is that.  I did this procedure a couple of times to make sure I could repeat it.  Once the bike would not crank and I noticed a little puff of smoke from the wire going to the starter.  I let it set a minute and it cranked up fairly quickly.  It may be the compression release solenoid not sure.  I do not have any voltage running to the battery when the bike is running so I am pretty sure the stator is bad.  Transmission shifts through all four gears and the clutch seems to function well.  There is oil all over the engine cases so I am assuming I will need to replace the gaskets.   That is not a big deal as I had planned to tear the engine part of the way down anyway.  No leaks on floor under bike though.
      

The building I am using for this project was originally a De Soto / Plymouth Dealer back in the late 20's through the early 40's. The section I am using was the repair shop. Hardwood floors over a full basement. You would not believe the timbers under this floor. Metal tiles on a 18 foot ceiling. There is still a steel I-beam mounted to the ceiling where the motor chain hoist was attached. The building has been used for quite a few things over the years, a sewing plant, a leather shop, an awning shop, automobile storage, and just plain storage. You can tell from some of the pictures that storage is a loose term at best. 
But it cleans up pretty well for my purposes, and it is quite well lit. 


Re purposing of an old work rail from the sewing operation and a ramp makes a great bike work stand.  Just the right height to sit in an old office chair while I wrench.


 
Well enough buyers remorse, I'm energized again.  Now let's tear this baby APART. 

    
     

No comments: