Tuesday, April 16, 2013

More planning..........


Unfortunately the starter is not going to be repairable.   I will have to source it online somewhere.  In the mean time I have been tinkering with some of the body parts.  The frame for the seat pan is going to be  fairly straight forward.  I do not want to cut down the tank as  I plan to use the existing tank mount point and the top rear fender mounts.  This will allow me to not cut the frame and result in a fairly relaxed riding position.   With a mock seat on the frame assembly pictured the stand over is 30 inches and in a seated position my knee bend is right at 90 degrees.  I simulated the foot peg location with wood blocks and had a friend measure my knee bend.   The frame assembly in the pictures is aluminium and is just to get the correct measurements.    I plan to use round steel tubing when I fabricate the actual piece and have a rounded rear end.  I have Styrofoam blocks that I plan to use to make a form to mold the fiberglass seat cowl.   I also plan to cut down the original seat pan to form a narrower seat.  This whole assembly will have a slight forward angle to help create a secure seating position. 

 
Alignment with stock tank mounts.

 
 
 
Rear fender mount points.

 
Slight forward angle.
 
      When I removed the kick stand from the forward control mount I discovered that the bolt size and thread pattern are the same as the rear engine mount through bolt.  By reversing the bolt I was able to mount the kick stand on the bike in a rear location.  I will have to work out some way to stabilize this mounting that will also allow me to mount the spring.    The kits use a similar cross bracket to mount the foot peg.
 
 
I have also began patterning the Battery box.  I use pattern paper to get the correct starting point.
 


After I use the pattern paper to form for the shape and fit it in the bike I use valley tin to test shape and mounting. 


 
 

Forming on the end of table with yard stick and hammer.

 
Placement in frame with battery and seat fame. 
 
 
     I will have to make this box out of steel plate for strength.  I am planning to mount the rectifier, starter solenoid, and electronic control box to it as well.  this should give me a good idea  size and fitment.


 
      Patterns for the rear sets mounting brackets.  Not sure yet if I am going to use aluminium or steel here.  I like the aluminium idea but 3/8" aluminium or 1/8" steel, from what I have read aluminium needs to be 3 times as thick to give me the same strength.   I am not a small guy so strength is important. 

No comments: