Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Electrical Trouble Shooting.


    I had mentioned in the last post I had to order a new starter.  It arrived yesterday and I installed it.  I had received advice on the Suzuki Savage forum to remove or disconnect all non necessary electrical draws and start from there.  (aka... all lights)



           With the new starter installed I was able to fire the bike up and get it to a steady idle.  I then unplugged the stator from the rectifier and checked the voltage across all three poles.  With the bike at idle the meter read 46 volts AC on all three wires.  I then reved the bike up to around 5000 rpm and the voltage meter showed 110 volts AC.



 

  This is the correct reading for the stator.  With the continuity check I performed earlier and this I have concluded that the stator is OK.  I then unplugged the rectifier from the system and plugged the stator back into it.  After switching the meter to DC the readings coming out of the rectifer were inconclusive, (at least to me they were) so I plugged it back into the system.  I took the voltage meter and switched it to DC and checked the battery voltage with the bike at idle.  The reading was 13.00 volts at idle and at 5000 rpm it read 14.7 volts.  This is also the correct reading.  With the bike off the battery registers 12.6 volts between the positive and negative poles. 



  I am convinced that the battery and the charging system are OK at this point.   The lights were a little strange when I got the bike.  The rear turn indicators had been literally torn off and the front turn indicators would not flash.  They just glowed brighter when the switch was deployed.  Based on the wiring I think the indicators serve two purposes running lights and turn indicators.  I have a newer set I removed from a 2007 GS500F I had a couple of years ago, these are turn indicators only.  When these are plugged in the turn indicators work properly and the flashers also work. 

    I am thinking at this point that the electrical problems on the bike were due to direct grounds in the lighting system and the bare wire between the starter solenoid and the starter.  If this is the case, as it appears, I may be very close to having the electrical system sorted out.

   

 

No comments: