Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Oil Leak

 
 
 
Oil on the left hand side of the head.  This is the sign of of the oil cap leak on the S40.  The cap covers a hole that allows access to one of the cylinder head bolts.
 
 
Location of the oil leak. I actually took this picture after I had replaced the valve cover. Notice the red line of Permatex. It's the sure sign of an amateur mechanic.

 
Valve cover removal.

 
More card board and a drawing.

 
The engine was in neutral and I was very careful not tho turn the engine over during this procedure.

 
The old Cap filled with oil and some old sealant on and around it.

 
Valve rocker arms. Checked for any lost motion on the rocker arms.  Everything seemed pretty tight.

 
 The old one seemed to be OK but the new one is much more robust.

 
Permetex High Temp Silicone gasket maker.  Lots of opinions online about what is best.  We will just have to see how long this last.

 
A nice bead of sealant.

 
Insert and press.  I did a little clean up around the cup with a q-tip to make things a little neater than this picture shows.

 
A very thin coating of Permatex on the surface of the valve cover.  I don't think there was much if any sealant on this when I removed it. 

 
Torqued to spec.

 
After removing the drive pulley I removed the collar on the output shaft.


 
Remove the old seal.

 
New seal and replace the collar.

 
Retaining ring and bolts.

 
I also checked the valves after installing the cam chain tensioner I mentioned in the last post.  The gap is supposed to be between .08 mm and .13 mm.  All four of mine were .10 mm so I left well enough alone.  For those not familiar with this procedure.  I first inserted a .08 mm feeler gauge which slid in without any problem.  Then I tried a .13 mm feeler gauge and it would not slip into the opening.  I next tried a .10 mm gauge which would slip in but seemed to be fairly tight.  This was the same on all four valves.  Sorry I didn't take pictures but I was kind of excited that everything was in tolerance and didn't need adjusting.  Seriously, I think it might be the first time I didn't need to perform a major procedure after any check on this bike.  Things are looking up!
 
While I was waiting on parts I tacked a few other things as well.  New throttle tube and a new throttle cable.  I 'll cover that next time.

No comments: