Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Cam Chains and the Oil Drain.

I had said I needed to change the oil after the gas leak so this seemed like a good time to check the cam chain tensioner.    Removing the right side crank case cover is several bolts and they are all different lengths.


So after draining the oil I removed the cover.  To make sure I get the bolts back in the proper holes I use an old piece of cardboard and make a drawing of the layout and punch holes with a screw driver at the screw locations.


Looks pretty good inside.


The wear point on the tensioner is 18 mm,  Mine was 21 mm!

 
After reviewing my options, Cam chain replacement $120 for a new chain and tear the motor apart and re time.  Modified tensioner from the Savage forum $170, or send mine to California and have it modified, $75.  We're shipping to California.

 
In less than 2 weeks I have a modified cam chain tensioner!  Pretty nice work.


 
Installed and torqued.  The hardest part of this whole repair was removing and replacing the circlip that anchors the tensioner to the case.  Really tedious, on and off!

 
Now pull out the zip tie and see what we have.
Pretty slick actually.

 
One of the first things I did when I got the bike was to change the oil.  Not the filter but the oil.  I rode it a while then changed it again.  Since the gas leak I have ran the bike in the shop hoping to let the oil and gas mixture clean the sludge out of the engine.  Oil filter change and fresh oil. 

 
Old filter yuck!

 
New filter.

 
Button things up.

 
While I waited on the modified tensioner to arrive I decided to tackle a few others issues that had been plaguing me.  I have had a couple of oil leaks that I tackled and that will be in the next post.  Transmission seals and the dreaded
"Cylinder Head Plug Leak"! So tune in next time for more photos and a light nontechnical description.



No comments: